Friday, June 20, 2008

6/18/08, Day 2 of Telluride

11:14AM - Right now we're driving on Arizona State Hwy 89. We checked out of our super Super 8 hotel around 10:30. We planned on getting up early to go to Slide Rock before check out, but when 6:15 rolled around, we were almost too tired to even protest, so we chose to catch up on some sleep. Can't forget, we've got a huge competition to be healthy and ready for! The drive right now is amazing. Mack was saying that road trips always restore his faith that humans haven't covered every square inch of the Earth with buildings, and I quite agree. Right now I see yellow grass plains that stretch for miles. It could be Africa. I always yearn to get out and see and feel and smell everything up close. And yet, I love to be on the inside watching. What would it take, to drop everything and let myself into the wild? To walk upon these gorgeous plains with nothing but my senses for company... not sure what there would be to find, but the scenery would be enough! It's times like these I especially wish I had a biplane. We're headed to Cortez, CO. On the way, we're stopping at an attraction listed on the map called 'Dinosaur Tracks'. We'll let you know how that is...
-K.R. Little, expert imaginary explorer, archaeologist, biplane pilot, 1903

2:02PM - Navajo Nation

We stopped at a general store and as we pulled up, there were 4 bikes (I should clarify, bicycles, parked out front. I asked the guys and they said they were headed to L.A. from Boston! How boss is that? They have been at it for a month. That is just about the coolest thing I have ever heard. Right now we are headed for Kayenta. Hopefully there will be some food. After that it's onto Four Corners. 4 states at once!
-Mackenzie Arthur

No comments: